Dr. Patel has published over two hundred peer-reviewed scholarly articles and review articles, designed multiple surgical instruments, developed several surgical techniques, lectured and performed demonstration and/or charitable surgery in over 48 countries, written more than 40 books and book chapters and trained over one hundred fellows from all five continents in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the face.
He strives to teach the next generation of surgeons to aim not only to be better, but be at least as compassionate to our patients as our teachers.
An ongoing project of teaching the modern surgeons the subject of oculoplastic surgery, a specialized branch of plastic surgery. Teaching is best aided by the 2000-year-old method of question-and-answer which has been proven to be better than simply lecturing "one-way". This dynamic project is continuing to evolve with the textbook being updated, improved and expanded daily.
The aim is to create the most comprehensive textbook on this subject with the most detailed and up-to-date information on this subject.
The most current textbook on orbital tumors with detailed descriptions of conditions, diagnoses, differential diagnosis, best techniques of surgical and medical treatment and videos.
Another exciting project with a "live" textbook which we are editing and improving on an on-going basis. Modern publishing techniques allow us to have a live textbook which can be added to, improved, amended, and expanded so that the textbook is always the "latest" in knowledge and information. We have a number of other exciting teaching projects such as this created to educate surgeons the world over.
The facial nerve
Prof. Patel wrote the section of the book that deals with rehabilitation of the periorbital and eyelid structures in the presence of a facial palsy. Written with world-renowned experts Dr. Mark May and Dr. Barry Schaitkin.
"A complete text on facial nerve development, anatomy, function, and disorders. . .a comprehensive clinical source for physicians who are interested in the management of facial disorders, including diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment." -- The American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery
"A well-executed, welcome update to an existing standard in this important aspect of head and neck surgery..the text is complemented by ample high-quality illustrations..Clinicians from all surgical and non-surgical disciplines and at all levels of experience will find this a valuable addition to their libraries."
--Head & Neck
"A comprehensive discussion of the issues faced by clinicians who evaluate facial nerve disorders...in recognition of the many medical specialists who deal with the facial nerve, this book incorporates their valuable input...text is complemented by numerous anatomical drawings, electron micrographs, and clinical photographs...will continue to serve as a fundamental text in the field...a valued textbook and worthy of its price." --Journal of Neurosurgery
"A remarkably complete text covering all the basic and clinical fundamentals...any specialist reading this text will be impressed with the content...highly recommended..." --Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
"Quite readable and well illustrated...Contains a wealth of useful information for physicians...Recommended." -Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
"There is no question that this is a landmark book...Each chapter is a complete unit in itself...the summary of a career's worth of experience." -Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
"I fully recommend this to all physicians who deal with the facial nerve... well written, well illustrated and well referenced ...I certainly would include this book in all otolaryngologists' libraries...definitive." -American Journal of Otolaryngology
"A fitting testament to the clinical career of the senior author..well-illustrated and comprehensively covers every disorder imaginable involving the facial nerve..well worth considering for one's library."
--Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences
"An excellent book on facial nerve..an interesting read..numerous illustrations..a 'must' for all otologists, otoneurologists, and department libraries." --Australian Journal of Otoryngology
Diagnosis & Management of Oculoplastic & Orbital disorders
A comprehensive presentation by Prof. BCK Patel MD, FRCS on Ptosis, Levator aponeurosis repair, Upper eyelid blepharoplasty, Surgical management of Essential Blepharospasm, Management of complex orbital fractures, and Optic Nerve Decompression.
University of Liverpool
University of London
Ophthalmic Plastic, Orbital, Lacrimal and Reconstructive SurgeryMoorfields Eye Hospital, London, England
Facial Cosmetic & Reconstructive, Orbital, Lacrimal and Socket SurgeryUniversity of Utah, USA
Professor and Chief, Div. of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Fellowship Director for Overseas and Local Fellows
General & Plastic Surgery, University of Liverpool
Ophthalmology, Liverpool Eye Hospital, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Moorfields Eye Hospital, University of London
Examinations & Postgraduate Degrees:
F.R.C.S (Edinburgh - General & Plastic Surgery)
F.R.C.S (Glasgow - General & Plastic Surgery)
F.R.C.S (Glasgow - Ophthalmology)
Overview of Expertise, Research & Medical Interests:
- -Prof. Patel did extended postgraduate fellowships in Europe and in the United States and trained with some of the best surgeons in the world.
- -Prof. Patel's expertise is in the management of disorders involving eyelids, periorbital tissues, lacrimal system and facial bones including fractures and in all cosmetic procedures of the face. He has designed and refined several surgical procedures and instruments. His clinical research interests include Euthyroid disease, optic nerve disorders, orbital and eyelid tumors, anopthalmos, lacrimal surgery and facial cosmetic surgery.
- -He has developed and published many cosmetic facial surgical procedures, including procedures for the brows, upper and lower eyelids, cheeks and the lower face and neck.
- Designer, developer and inventor of the "Hammock" facelift
- Designer, developer and inventor of the "SMURFLift" for correction of festoons
- Developed the "3-D Facelift" as illustrated on www.patelfacelift.com
- Developed the supero-medial approach to orbital tumors
- Developed the 10-minute optic nerve sheath fenestration technique which has revolutionized how we perform optic nerve biopsies and fenestrations with minimal complications and risks
- -The division has been a pioneer in research and development of techniques for the management of ocular and facial disorders, orbital malpositions, Euthyroid eye disease, optic nerve surgery, lacrimal problems and tearing, eyelid and orbital tumors, and the treatment of orbital and facial fractures.
- -The division developed the use of Botulinum toxin which is also used in the treatment of facial wrinkles and frown lines.
- -Many of the cosmetic and reconstructive surgical procedures utilized have been developed by the division including repair, upper blephs, endoscopic brow elevation, transconjunctival lower blephs, modified face and neck lifts and fat grafts to the face for cosmetic and reconstructive purposes.
- -Small incision endoscopic brow elevation and midface lifts allow aesthetic improvement in many patients who previously would not have been candidates for surgery.
- -Procedures including chin and cheek augmentation and facial liposculpture are directed at restoring, and enhancing the architecture and support of the face and eyelids; procedures that remove supportive structures are avoided.
- -Laser resurfacing techniques for aging changes are utilized by the division and give less postoperative redness and faster healing. Many other lasers are used to treat everything from wrinkles to pigment spots to abnormal vessels and to tighten facial and neck skin and underlying structures.
- -Management of some complex disorders and injuries require collaboration with specialists from throughout the Health Sciences Center.
- -Prof. Patel sees patients from all over the United States and overseas.
- -A substantial portion of our practice is the correction of complications of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. Prof. Patel is available for second (and third!) opinion to patients and surgeons alike.
- -For medico-legal review and opinions, and for Worker's Compensation case review, please contact us to arrange an appointment.
- -For patients from afar, virtual consultations can be arranged. Please contact us for details.